Jan 3, 2008

vanity guilds are awesome

Back when I was still a newbie, I was in a vanity guild with a friend of mine, who liked immature humor, and I hated all the ridiculous guild names I kept seeing with words like "Knights" "Shadow" or "Of The Light" -- with the O and T capitalized, and I swear I remember seeing some ridiculous guild called "Shadow Knights Of The Light" while levelling my main and it made me gag -- so we created our own guild, if only so we could have a name in brackets.

We ended up deciding on "thats what your mom said", as "thats what your mom said last night" was too long, and probably to risque for Blizzard to allow. The all lowercase was my idea, because I was tired of seeing prepositions being capitalized when they werent the first word in the guild name. Another benefit of the name was that it was as long as a guild name could be, and so those who didnt turn off the guild name display option would be drawn to its length.

Anyway, got quite a few compliments, and a few negative tells. Most of them were simply "reported for your guild name", and I got to laugh at them behind my computer screens for having dirty minds. However one moment that still clearly stands out for me was I was standing by the Scarlet Monastery meeting stone waiting for more people, and some guy had just finished summoning somone, turned to me, paused and gave me this whisper:

"I would have invited you to our SM run, but your guild name is so awful I'm putting you on ignore."

I tried to whisper him back with "lol" but by then I was already ignored. Then I strated to laugh out loud for real.

No comments: