Jan 14, 2008

raid report: not yet a lootreaver

Last night was our guilds first formal stab at doing Void Reaver. Right off the bat when you enter the place there is a 6 pull, with 5 AOEs and some Mind Controllers thrown in for good measure. Some of the trash pulls are pretty boring, and I was particularly underwhelmed by the trash pulls inside Void Reavers room. Apparently they are supposed to be "harder than VR himself", and our guild leader had found a video of a guild where half of the raid died on one of the trash pulls.

Basically in the pulls there are these two demon guys that do massive AOE damage to the raid if not CCed correctly. In the video half the raid dies on the pull. In actuality, it was really more of a problem that the warlocks just sucked at CCing. Their first mistake in the video is that they dont bother pulling the patrol first. The second mistake is that they have their main tank pull and then run out of Voidreavers room into a hallway. The third mistake was that their warlocks dont have a debuff timer mod at all, so they have to guess when they need to apply the next banish, leading to the demons AOEing life down quickly. With the mod it's quite easy for a warlock to keep a demon banished repeateadly, not allowing them to move or act. Furthermore with misdirect, you can have the warlocks run in and body pull the group while the golems are misdirected and the additional blood elf mob is sheeped off the bat.

Void Reaver himself was a much trickier deal. He doesnt hit the tank that hard. The real issue is the melee DPS avoiding his poundings, and everyone avoiding the sparks he lobs. Part of my problem with his sparks that he's lobbing is that they come from above at a very inconvenient angle. You cant zoom out the camera far enough normally to get a birds eye view of the situation to see all the sparks, and to have the camera looking slightly up the entire fight is also tricky, since as you have to move around to dodge the sparks you will be moving the camera around a lot.

The thing that pisses me off about Void Reaver though is that he's just a gigantic threat management fight. At least the way our guild does him, we have one main tank doing his best to build threat, while he gets constant misdirects from whatever hunters we have in the raid. But it's just not enough. I'm not even using my spelldamage trinket and I can quite easily reach the aggro ceiling in 3 minutes. Soulshatter doesnt get rid of enough threat for me. It's really more of a fight for our Hunters, Rogues and Mages to shine because they have better threat elimination abilities. My alternative is to start farming threat reduction items, I trashed my old threat reduction gear ages ago because I got to a point where I thought the tanks I was running with would generate enough threat for me that I wouldn't have to worry about it ever again, at least with a meter running anyway.

The best choice right now may be just to get to exalted with the Keepers of Time for the Time Lapsed Shard and spam that on its every cooldown. And then hopefully supplement those with Shrouding Potions, but I don't know if we have an alchemist exalted with Sporregar. If those arent enough, theres another trinket I can get that's a drop in Shadow Labrynth, and get a cape from Sporregar. Hopefully it wont come to that.

It's been a while since I've done Black Morass runs, so it'll be interesting to see how different it is now that I have insane gear to back me up on them.

No comments: