Jan 4, 2008

raid report: gruul & mag thursday

And after a long winter break my guild decided it was time to do 25 mans again.

This was probably the first time I logged into my main for over a week, and I was surprised at the graphics. I remember them being much more low rez and blocky. I think I might've fiddled with the graphics settings before logging off last time.

A lot of other people were logging on for the first time after the break too. And it showed:

Maulgar
Usually Maulgar isnt worth mentioning since he goes down quick and easy. For the uninitiated, if your guild can clear Karazhan, you can kill Maulgar once you learn how to do the initial pull.

We wiped Maulgar 2 and a half times.

The first two times was because the mage tank was getting a lot of spell resists on his spellsteal and not enough heals. I think the problem was mostly because he had too much of his Arena gear on and not enough spell hit on.

The half was because by the time we got all his adds down we were down to basically a few tanks and a few healers. Execute spam saved the day. He dropped two Hero pants tokens, so I finally got my second peice of T4. Hooray... sorta. Most of us dont even need T4 peices anymore, and are really only getting them for completionists sake. Even on the half wipe I still think he needed more spell hit on, because by the time we killed the first 4 adds, I and another mage managed to outthreat him on a mob that he had been building aggro on since the beginning of the fight.

Gruul
One shotted Gruul.

Our rustiness really only showed when there were a few times when I took over 5000 damage from shattering, where normally I only take 1000-2000 damage, if any at all. He died somewhere around 13 growths. Not the greatest fight. My DPS was somewhat lacking because I wasnt given salvation, and for whatever reason 3 different tanks were vying for the coveted 2nd position*, which meant three different people were getting misdirects. I also used Soulshatter way too soon into the fight and ended having to stop DPS entirely.

Gruul finally dropped his tanking shield, and I was wondering where that shield had come from since I've seen it around a few times. The shield went to our main tank automatically, but all the warriors, paladins and shamen (shamans?) rolled on the shield just to piss him off anyway. Our token DPS warrior got a 100, and "gave" the shield to MT, and currently claims credit for every block our main tank does with it.

Magtheridon
Triple wiped on Magtheridon and called it a night.

Wipe 1: A rogue on cube clicking duty died too close to the first blast wave and nobody could run into his position in time.
Wipe 2: DPS pulled aggro away from the first channeler that we kill. We got him back into position only to have him break away a second afterwards and get a heal. Everyone groans and the raid leader calls for a wipe.
Wipe 3: 2 cube clickers died right before the first blast wave, and one person was not in position.

On the positive side I had the foresight to only use Elixirs on these attempts instead of a flask.



*For the uninitiated: Gruul will do additional damage to anyone who is second on his threat meter, so to be safe all of the DPS tries to stay third or below.

No comments: