Jan 9, 2008

raid report: gruul & mag tuesday

Gruul
One shot encounter. I learned that my DPS isnt sucking, its my threat. I outthreat the secondary tank too early in fights now, even with salvation. Ideally I want to be blowing soul-shatter halfway through the fight. Instead I do it within the first few growths and end up gaining too much aggro by growth 10.

Mag
3 wipes. 4th times the charm!

We did it this time with only 2 warlocks, which is tricky since Infernal CC is a tricky task with less than 3. It's doable, but only if the hunters spam their freezing traps early and often.

Wipe 1 - My memory is a bit fuzzy on this one. DPSing the channelers down was great. Until the last channeler. Somehow I died and a few other people did. We recovered, I got a battle rez. 2 actually (way to go druid synchronization!). Rezzed again after a blast wave, so as to not get instagibbed by a late/failed cube clicking. Next blast wave went ok, but then it became my rotation's turn to click. I distinctly remember seeing somone at their cube but not clicking at the appropriate time, and too my dismay by the time they did start clicking, I had died (2 ticks from blast wave and the standard cube damage is greater than 8000 damage, which was how much HP I had with 0 buffs on). Luckily Magtheridon was still banished. Then in the next rotation 2 people were not in position to click at all. Many groans as we wipe.

Wipe 2 - I think this one a tank did not establish aggro soon enough. So we had channelers running wild, which basically means they start to over DPS the raid with their shadowbolt volleys and heal the DPS target. Somone on Teamspeak blames the CC, the other warlock, my CO, gets angry.

Wipe 3 - Started out fine, but then for some reason one of the tanks just died. Then another one did. Then we had like 8 infernals running around with 8 people dead and not even the first channeler dead. I suicide via Hellfire because I know theres no way to recover from that. Somone blames the CC on Teamspeak again, pissing off my CO even more. I feel like blaming a healers because they've been doing a crappy job here since the first attempt.

Wipe 4 - Our guild leader said this was our last attempt, because he was tired of the newbie mistakes we were making the first 3 wipes. We all put on our A game, and kill the 5th channeler before the first cube click has to occur, which is really good for our DPS. There were a few times when the 1st rotation was too slow at getting all the clicks off and so it became a competition between the 2nd and 1st rotation on who could interrupt magtheridon better. 2nd rotation - my rotation - came out on top... until after the cave in. Then the guild leader got a little nervous and accidentally called out for a click 5 seconds too early, and 2 people in our rotation clicked. Finally when Magtheridon actually began casting blast wave the rest of us clicked, just in the nick of time to banish Magtheridon.

PROTIP: Always look at Magtheridons caster bar to click, and never ever ever ever rely on a boss mod timer for when to click. For when to move into position for clicking it works very well, but as a marker for clicking it will just wipe your raid.

6 peices of T4 dropped in a single night!... And not a single one was "of the hero". Curse you random number generator!

As an added bonus this week I finally got my head out of my ass and got back into the top 5 on the damage meters. For Maulgar I was 4th, which is pretty good because of the rapid target switching that occurs. For Gruul I was 2nd, behind the best DPS rogue in the guild. And thats without a shadow priest buffing my damage.

No comments: